Sunday, November 25, 2012

easy boatnecks



You can't argue with a pattern that lets you make a shirt in less than an hour.

Not that I have anything to argue with. Over the last two years I've tried a couple of pattern drafting classes and read a few books, but Wendy Mullin's Sew U Home Stretch never fails. Knits are a little more forgiving to sew with of course, but her instructions are clear and the basic patterns allow for lots of customization (which she explains fully). I've used this boatneck pattern many times and I'm always happy with the result. I made these two shirts a little wide so they would be comfortable, and the fabrics are both from Fabricland in Whitby (it turns out they always have much better choices than the Fabricland here in Toronto - darn suburbs). The white and grey is especially awesome - it's an organic, two-layer cotton similar to the fabric from one of Sadie's drapey cardigans. The other is a cheap, not-as-awesome rayon but the colour is great (Sadie has a scarf and leggings from the rest).

If only I could learn to centre my tags, these shirts just might be perfect.

0 comments :