Wednesday, September 21, 2011

golden red




Two weeks of knitting, one week of button choosing and now I actually have a finished sweater that I love.

I've had 3 different sweaters on the go since January, each one unravelled after so much time invested because it just wasn't working out. But I started this one a few Fridays ago and it came together quickly. I enjoyed every single minute of working on it. The pattern - the Golden Wheat Cardigan - is fantastic and easy, and I've learned once and for all that I need to stick with the yarns I love. For example, I started a new pattern with Cascade 220 a few days ago and it was making my hands raw so I'm calling it quits with that workhorse wool. If I don't want the wool sitting in my lap then the project is doomed. There's still plenty of colours left in the Luxury Tweed that I can try, although I'm also getting pretty close to ordering Quince & Co because knitters have been raving about it (and the colours are great).

I did make a couple of modifications to the cardigan. I'm not a huge fan of reverse stockinette, so I used regular stockinette instead with KFB increases on either side of the 2 st raglan seams. I didn't make any decreases in the sleeves and used the larger needle for the garter cuffs and bottom band. I ignored the waist shaping; with no chest to speak of, it's better for my sweaters to be straight or they hang funny. And I forgot all about the pocket! I think the Luxury Tweed was a good yarn for the pattern because it's drapey and so the neck is flexible, looking more like a cowl. With stiffer wool it might retain the boxy shape and give the cardigan a whole different look.



And during this time I finished a really delightful book, Vaclav and Lena. Not that it's a light story, but the characters are really well developed and a pleasure to witness growing up. They are both Russian immigrants and the dialogue of children learning the English language added to the overall charm. I'm almost finished Half Broke Horses but I'd have to say it's not my favourite. At times I don't really like Lily Casey Smith and in order to fit her whole life into one novel, experiences are just touched on and for me, it lacks the depth of experience that would make me really understand this woman. Every read can't be amazing, and I'll happily finish this one and move on to the next.

Happy knitting and reading, and don't forget to check out this week's Yarnalong.

10 comments :

pinkundine said... [Reply to comment]

Love that pattern (and I think I prefer your version without the pocket!) Beautiful colour :)

Tracy said... [Reply to comment]

Oh I aspired to someday being able to knit like this! Wow! (And always enjoy hearing what you are reading.)

karen said... [Reply to comment]

You knit fast! The sweater is just lovely and it fits you perfectly :)

Lori ann said... [Reply to comment]

this is just gorgeous, a beautiful sweater, beautiful knitting. i love it on you and i'm inspired to add it to my queue. i know just what you mean about sweaters, sometimes i've unraveled almost entirely. it seems that when the pattern and wool are working together a sort of magic happens and causes it to fly off the needles. and i think your the first person i know thats not so enamoured with cascade 220 either. i think i would make the exact same mods as you also, did you have a rav link? i must go back and check. thank you for sharing, and enjoy your lovely sweater!

amanda {the habit of being} said... [Reply to comment]

beautiful sweater! love the color and the buttons.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

That sweater is GORGEOUS on you. I love the color. It fits very well. Great job. I've never knit a sweater, but that's one of my goals in life.

Centro médico Rusiñol en Madrid said... [Reply to comment]

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to see a nice blog like this one today..

calendario laboral madrid said... [Reply to comment]

Hi there! This post couldn’t be written any improved! Perusing by this publish reminds me of my former place mate! He normally kept talking about this. I’ll ahead this article to him. Really guaranteed he will have a excellent study. Thanks for sharing!

Importar contactos de Facebook said... [Reply to comment]

Greetings from Ohio! I’m bored to death at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m amazed at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyways, wonderful blog!

Folger said... [Reply to comment]

Thannk you